Kesha’s ‘Slap Yo Momma’ Oxtails
This was a recipe I came up with because I couldn’t find an easy oxtail recipe online that didn’t require me to milk a small goat to get an ingredient. On the side of town that I live on, there’s a large population of carribean/west indian folk so oxtails can easily be obtained at my local grocery store. For all others, I’m sure you can find some at your local farmer’s market.
Prep time: 9 hrs 15 min… but it’s worth it!
2 lbs. oxtails (get the chopped ones if you can. The long tail freaks me out)
2 tbs. brown sugar
1 tsp. parsley
1/2 cup beer (I prefer Budweiser, but any kind will do)
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. paprika
2 tsp. salt (really it’s to taste, but I wanted to be fancy)
2 tsp. black pepper
2 tbs. olive oil
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 slices of bacon (bacon makes everything better)
1 cup pre chopped tomato, onion, pepper mix (most grocery stores have this near the salads)
1/2 of an onion
5 medium sized red potatoes
Crock pot Liners! (They’re by the ziplock bags in the grocery store. You’ll thank me later)
- Prep your crock pot by lining it with those handy crock pot liners. Chop up your potatoes and place them in the bottom of the pot and drizzle with the olive oil. Put in the beer and Worcestershire sauce. Set it to low.
- Preheat any clean medium sized pan that you can find over medium high heat then add your bacon.
- Season your oxtails with every single one of the seasonings, and add any others that you think might me cool. You’re the one that has to eat it.
- Brown oxtails with bacon for 5 minutes flipping over midway through.
- Add pre-chopped veggie mixture and brown for an additional couple of minutes.
- Put everything (including that tasty bacon) in your crock pot.
- Chop up your onion and place in crock pot. Add a little more brown sugar, and whatever other seasoning you like for good measure. (I love seasoning.)
- Cover your crock pot and let cook for about 9 hours.
- Serve with white rice and a green veggie.
- Now SLAP YO MOMMA!